Where hope grows, miracles blossom.

Hope is a waiting dream.
Never stop hoping and dreaming!

Hope is the ability to hear the music of the future.
Faith is having the courage to dance to it today.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Licked the 10 Commandments!

I know the phone will be ringing off the hook when the church curriculum department hears about the outstanding Family Home Evening we had last night.  They will be desperate for me to write an entire book of family home evening lessons for the entire church :)


For a previous FHE, we read the story  "Alma the Younger Apologizes" and then played a game called "Hard Hearts, Soft Hearts".  You read a statement and decide if the action is something that a person with a hard heart (represented by the rocks) would do (such as stealing) or a soft heart (the cotton balls) would do (helping a friend).  Once you make your decision, you then place the corresponding object into a bucket and when all the statements are gone, you count out which has more.  You either get a "good job, you had a soft heart" or a "Oh, we better try harder to change our heart!" consolation prize.  Last night's version consisted of pouring the rocks out onto the floor (repeatedly) and then tossing the cotton balls up in the air to see where they would land (or how many would land on the dog).  The "apologizing" came in the form of saying sorry when an errant rock hit someone.  Gospel topic learned:  Patience (on mommy's end)

Next we read a favorite book:


and discussed the need for rules at home, school, church, in life, etc.   Little Man kept referring to them as Moses' 10 Footballs (a reference to a church video, 'Scripture Bugs').  We then created our own family game of football rules:

Our Family Rules

1.  Help make our home a temple:
    *Pick up our toys
    *Do our chores
    *LOVE one another
2.  Treat others with kindness - The Golden Rule.
3.  We listen to each other and speak with an inside voice.
4.  Follow directions when asked the first time.
5.  We hug and kiss, not hit.

Agreed upon and signed on the 4th day of January 2010

When then chose a clip art picture to put on the page (T-Man chose one of Nephi with the Brass Plates and a sword), printed these up on the computer, we all signed them, and then we each proceeded to break at least one by the next morning.

At this point, I was craving / was desperate for  / demanded suggested that we now move to the "Treat" portion of FHE.  This is what T-Man offered:  Foam puzzle piece "hot dog buns" and cotton ball "hot dogs".

 
SUPER cute idea, but ... umm ... DELICIOUS??

This is what I had in mind:

 
Graham Cracker Stone Tablets with the 10 Commandments written in cream cheese frosting. 
(A tried-&-true dessert from my childhood days)
Can I get an Amen to that treat??
 
He proceeded to lick the frosting off of the "Stone Tablets" to which he then squealed, "I LICKED THE 10 COMMANDMENTS!"  Gospel Principle learned:  The jury is still out on this one.  Any ideas?

5 comments:

Justme said...

What an awesome Mom you are!! The day will come when Tyler will be fixing that same treat for his kids and telling them about the time he 'licked the 10 commandments'. Of course, they'll all come to the nursing home to tell you and Eric about it and you won't remember a thing. But a tradition has been born!

Grandma Sharon says. . . said...

Nursing home? Enjoyed reading about your ten commandments activity. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! And so cute the way you told it. And, Sharon, in case you didn't know I'm younger than Christy, so she is close to being in a nursing home!

Justme said...

I was talking Y..E..A..R..S down the road. I'm assuming others will have the privilege of being taken care of in a nursing home. I, on the other hand, will never get to enjoy such lavishness as I have been promised immediate demise the first time I forget a particular firstborn's name.

And, Betty {aka Lily}, in whose world are you younger than Christy??????

Anonymous said...

Janis....use your SmartCard and you'll realize that in my own world I can be younger than Christy and YOU!