Dollar store, shmollar store!
About a year and a half ago, I bought T-Man a puzzle of the United States at the dollar store. This $1.07 purchase (that's with tax) has now cost me upwards of a hundred dollars and most of my sanity, I am sure.He has now become obsessed with the United States. (He is slowly moving into the World Map with much prodding). I think we need an intervention -- Someone please stop him/me!
They say when your child shows an interest in something you should foster that interest. Fostering or obsession? You decide:
1. We have recently checked out "The Scrambled States of America Book" from the library.
2. He owns "The 50 States" book, a place mat of the U.S., and soon to be the proud owner of state cookie cutters (shh, don't tell him - that's his birthday surprise)
3. He owns one of these:

4. He owns three different United States puzzles, one puzzle of the world, a box of flash card that teach the countries of the world and their capitals, and a car license plate game. (One of the puzzles had to be "repurchased" after the dog decided she needed relief and did so on the puzzle -- anyone need a white Maltese?)
5. Last week he made this from Play-dough:6. Yesterday he spent the entire church meeting cutting out the 50 states that he and I printed off of the computer (each on it's own individual sheet). What he didn't finish at church he finished at home that night.
7. Since 9:30 this morning (it's now 2:00), he has painted all the states he cut yesterday (along with the kitchen floor, his undies, his t-shirt, and every exposed piece of flesh. He won't even stop for lunch.
9. Cars are beginning to look like states to him. "Mommy, Tennessee looks like a limousine!"
10. I cannot calculate the number of hours spent on the driveway drawing the states, writing names, capitals (each must have a star by it) and the abbreviations. I am getting a good start on my farmers tan -- (did you know that Broiler chickens, chickens 5 to 12 weeks old, are Delaware's most important farm product? You do now!!)
11. Every month he receives two different state maps and a booklet to go with each in the mail. The maps used to adorn the walls of my living room, but have since been moved to his room. We hear him at night talking about rivers, etc. from the maps. Many-a-tear has been shed by he and mommy when maps don't line up right or don't fit correctly, or have to bend around a wall.
12. We went to visit a Montessori school to see if it would be a good fit for T-Man. I left the room for 5 minutes to see the other classrooms and when I came back he was on the floor working a world map puzzle with the teacher!
13. A recent trip to Walmart cost me $5.00 when he spotted a blue shirt of the U.S. Did I mention he already owns a similar one in grey? Oh, and one that says "Illinois Rocks"
14. He LOVES to watch Fox News weather -- state maps galore!!
15. Let's not even talk about the debate over Puerto Rico. He insists the capital is pronounced 'San June' in English and 'San Juan' in Spanish and he doesn't speak Spanish. 'San June' it is little man!
We have been through this obsession before: Presidents of the Church, The 13 Articles of Faith, The 12 Apostles, Puzzles in general, Little Einsteins, musical instruments, and the list goes on. Most have not lasted this long. I guess when there are 50 states, 7 continents, and countries aplenty it's not surprising it has lasted so long.
"Juneau" the capital of Alaska??
We made a feeble attempt to get him to talk about planets last night. Here's how it went down (warning: rated PG-13)
Mom & Dad: "Do you know the names of the planets?"
T-Man: "Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus"
M & D: "That's right"
T-Man: "Mommy, do you know why Uranus is so big?"
Mommy: (Through sobbing tears and laughter): "Krispie Kremes and chocolate, T-Man; Krispie Kremes and chocolate".
Mom & Dad: "Do you know the names of the planets?"
T-Man: "Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus"
M & D: "That's right"
T-Man: "Mommy, do you know why Uranus is so big?"
Mommy: (Through sobbing tears and laughter): "Krispie Kremes and chocolate, T-Man; Krispie Kremes and chocolate".
It's a "state" of confusion at our house I tell you, a "state" of confusion!










6 comments:
Krispie Kremes and chocolate...ROTFL!
Oh, my gosh! I laugh out loud when I read your blogs about T Man. Too funny. I'm obsessed with HIM!
I failed to mention the absolute joy he gets on his face when we walk into Target. Right now they have a USA display of states hanging from the ceiling. I also forgot the USA Flag pillow I couldn't resist purchasing at Walmart (it lists the states in alphabetical order which then look like the stripes). I am sure there is more -- I'm just so buried in it.... :)
First I'd just like to state for the record that it's about time you updated your blog! Outside of that, your little guy is frightening! I honestly don't see how you stay ahead of him, let alone keep up...or is it keep up, let alone stay ahead? As you can see states of confusion are not necessarily all contiguous! Tyler is very smart to have figured out how to get you for his mother, too!
He's an amazing young man. I think laughter and humorous blogs must run in the family. It's fun to keep up with. Talk to Travis and Rose about "gifted" programs and schools for T-Man. Anna is 10 (will be 11 in Oct) and will be in 7th grade. It's all a child and parent thing.
Hi! I just found your blog via Mormon Mommy blogs...we are hoping to adopt again, too! I wish you and your dear family all the best with your adoption journey.
Post a Comment